Posts for tag: Oral Care Habits
Oral health is a term used for referring to the health of your gums, teeth, and your entire oral-facial system, which enables you to eat, speak and smile. Among the most common problems that negatively affect your oral health are gum disease, tooth decay, and oral cancer. Fortunately, you can maintain your oral health and keep these diseases at bay with regular checkups and cleanings with your dentist, Dr. Domenic Riccobono of Countryside Dental here in Chatham, NY, and these oral hygiene habits:
- Practice proper oral care habits. Brush your teeth two times daily and floss them to further get rid of food particles and plaque. Use an antibacterial mouthwash and fluoride toothpaste, and drink fluoridated water.
- Limit your intake of alcoholic drinks and refrain from using tobacco products.
- Consult your dentist once you experience sudden changes in smell and taste.
- If any of your medicines cause dry mouth, ask your physician for an alternative. Otherwise, make sure to drink lots of water and chew sugar-free gum to avoid dry mouth.
- If you’re a diabetic, work with your physician to manage your condition. This will help lower your risk of developing dental complications such as gum disease. Visit your dentist if your gums bleed when your floss or brush your teeth.
- Check-in with your dentist in Chatham, NY, at least twice annually. Inform your dentist about any medicines you’re taking and any health problems you may be experiencing during your checkups.
Cleaning Your Teeth and Gums The Proper Way
Brush along the gum line and your pearly whites, both thoroughly and gently, on all sides using a soft-bristled toothbrush and some fluoride toothpaste. Make sure to use short strokes and tiny circular motions and replace your toothbrush at least every three or four months.
Don’t forget to clean your tongue with the brush or a tongue scraper. Likewise, use dental floss to clean between the teeth and get rid of leftover food and plaque that can’t be removed by toothbrushing. Opt for a water flosser, pre-threaded flosser, or something similar if you have a hard time using standard floss.
Our Current Availability
Countryside Dental will be closed due to the new guidelines from the American Dental Association and New York State Dental Society unless it is a true emergency. We are scheduled to open on April 30 pending no further changes in the Federal and State Government.
If you have an emergency, you can contact Dr. Riccobono at 518-392-5231.